Sunday, May 16, 2010

In The Bee-ginning (sorry, couldn't resist)


I am a beginning beekeeper. My husband Steve is sharing this new love with me with excitement, which fills me with happiness. After two very long delays by the supplier, our first bees finally arrived this past Thursday, May 13th.

I have been wanting to raise bees FOREVER it seems. Steve and I married October 3rd of last year. He lived in a condo. My children and I lived in a house in the suburbs of Baltimore that had no real yard. My yard backed to a deep sloped wooded hill. There was an empty lot owned by the county next door, but I had a crazy neighbor that I didn’t want to mingle with. My crazy neighbor and I split caring for the lot between the two of us. She would cut her grass every single day and twice a day on weekends--rain, SNOW (yes snow!), or thunderstorms that had lightning hitting the ground around her. No, I didn’t want to deal with her.

I met Steve Christmas day of 2008, started dating him in April of 2009 and after a brief courtship, I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him. He asked me to marry him and I said yes. We married that October. We bought a small farm that we fell in love with. Almost immediately I realized that a long time dream could actually happen. I could finally have BEES!

I began reading everything I could find on raising bees, including the very best sources, BLOGS. For Valentine's Day, Steve asked me if there was anything in particular I wanted. I am not a very conventional person. I said BEES! So, that is where it all started. He bought me two complete beehives for my Valentine gift and the next month ordered 2 packages of bees. Isn’t he the BEST?! We took a very fun class together that was offered by a local bee club right in our new town!

No comments:

Post a Comment